Thai Fish Cake Recipe
Spice up your lunch this January with the fresh and easy Fish Cake recipe from our Head Chef Chris with a hot Jalapeno Chilli relish to keep away the Winter chill.
Thai Fish Cake Ingredients
- 1 stick of lemongrass
- 6cm piece ginger
- 1/2 bunch of fresh coriander (15g)
- 500g skinless salmon fillets, skin off, from sustainable sources, pin-boned
- 1 tbs chilli jam
Thai Fish Cake Method
- Whack the lemongrass against your work surface and remove the tough outer layer.
- Peel the ginger, then very finely chop with the inside of the lemongrass and most of the coriander, stalks and all, reserving a few nice leaves in a bowl of cold water for the garnish.
- Chop the salmon into 1cm chunks over the mix on your board, then push half the salmon to one side.
- Chop the rest until super-fine, almost like a puree, then mix the chunkier bits back through it and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Divide into 4, then shape and squash into 2cm-thick patties.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat with 1 tbs of olive oil. Cook the patties for 2 minutes on each side, or until nicely golden.
- Spoon the chilli relish (recipe below) over the fishcakes, add a splash of water to the pan, turn the heat off, and jiggle to coat.
- Serve sprinkled with the drained coriander
Jalapeno Chilli Relish Ingredients
- 20-25 jalapenos chopped small
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp celery flakes
- 1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
Jalapeno Chilli Relish Instructions
- First, decide if you want to keep the seeds in or out of your relish. How hot do you like foods? Also jalapenos vary in heat. Taste a piece and decide. Maybe include some seeds for extra heat to taste.
- Chop your jalapenos fine and toss them with the minced garlic. Feel free to add a red pepper for a pop of color if you like (or to help cut the heat). In small mason jars (I use 4 oz) spoon in the chopped jalapenos until they just about reach the top. Don’t press hard or “pack” them in, you need room for the liquid.
- In a small pot, heat the vinegar, water, sugar, celery flakes and salt until it boils.
- Remove from heat and allow it to sit for 2 minutes.
- Pour liquid into your filled jars, allow it to cool down for 10 minutes or so, then screw the lids on, allow them to cool to room temperature and then place in fridge until you want to enjoy them.
- Remember when working with jalapenos, you never know how hot or mild they may be. Be careful of your eyes, no rubbing your eyes for a while after working with them OR you will remember it for sure!