Looking for a warm and comforting recipe to indulge in this weekend? Head Chef Chris has decided to share this Lebanese inspired recipe for you to enjoy at home. Make sure you prepare the night before to ensure the Flat Bread has time to proof.
Indulge in this Lebanese Flat bread with sundried tomato hummus, pulled slow cooked beef brisket, topped with toasted cashews & dressed leaves.
Flat Bread Ingredients
- 1 (7g) sachet dried active yeast
- 180ml warm water (43 C)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 250g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Flat Bread Method
- Mix yeast with warm water in a large mixing bowl and allow to stand until a creamy layer of foam appears, about 10 minutes. Whisk in 4 tablespoons olive oil, then gradually stir in 250g plain flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth and just a little bit sticky, 10 to 12 minutes. Place dough into an oiled bowl and turn dough around in bowl to coat surface with oil; cover bowl and refrigerate dough overnight. (Dough should double in size.)
- Coat a baking tray generously with 2 tablespoons olive oil; place dough in the centre of the baking tray and flatten into a thick disc. Cover dough with cling film and let double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Use your palms and fingers to gently press and stretch dough to the edges of the oiled baking tray, making the flatbread as even in thickness as you can. With fingertips, make small indentations in the dough. Brush dough with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Stir za’atar and 3/4 teaspoon salt together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the flatbread. Let dough rest for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- Bake flatbread in the preheated oven until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Sundried Tomato Hummus Ingredients
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Sundried Tomato Hummus Instructions
- Add lemon juice, tahini and olive oil to the container of a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, about 40 seconds. Scrape down sides and add sundried tomatoes, garlic, cumin, salt, and 3/4 of the can of chickpeas. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides and blend again for another minute until even smoother. Add remaining chickpeas and blend for about 20 seconds or until the hummus has reached the creaminess you desire.
- Pour into a serving bowl and drizzle with additional olive oil and top with more sundried tomatoes.
- Keep in an airtight container for up to one week in the refrigerator.
Pulled Beef Brisket Ingredients
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup diced white onions
- 1/2 bottle of red wine good stuff that you would actually drink
- 1 1/2 cups of beef stock
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Pulled Beef Brisket Instructions
- Season the brisket with salt and pepper
- Seal in frying pan on each side for 1 minute or until the edge is light brown.
- Place brisket in to a casserole dish
- Add garlic, onion, wine, beef stock.
- Cover the dish with a lid and place in the preheated oven. roast for 4 hours, check after 3 hours, cooking times vary depending on thickness of briskt
- Remove the lid and continue cooking the beef for an additional 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove beef from the sauce. Using a fork, pull beef apart into pulled beef.