Guinness Cork Jazz Festival
Celebrate Jazz in Cork from 24th - 28th October 2019
The Jazz Festival Club
Our sister hotel, The Metropole Hotel Cork is home of the Jazz in Cork and plays host to the Jazz Festival Club.BOOK NOW
We offer a complimentary transfer to the Metropole Hotel from 1pm to 9.30pm on 26th & 27th October.BOOK NOW
Must-see acts and events at this year’s
Guinness Cork Jazz Festival
2019 Guinness Cork Jazz Festival Programme is officially launched!
Thurs 26 Sept: Guinness has launched the full programme of events for the 42nd Guinness Cork Jazz Festival, which takes place over the bank holiday weekend from 24th to 28th October 2019.
The Guinness Cork Jazz Festival is one of the biggest and longest running events on the Irish music calendar. Every nook and cranny of Cork City will come alive across the festival weekend to the sounds of over 1,000 musicians and creative artists from more than 20 countries.
This year’s festival will host a fantastic array of top international headline jazz acts, including Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Kurt Elling, The Big Brass Band Explosion, Dr. Linley Hamilton Quintet, Fred Hersch Trio, Mica Paris, and Spyro Gyra.
There’s also a great line up at the Metropole Festival Club, and an exciting fringe programme of free gigs and entertainment in over 70 city venues across the city.
This year we’re also looking forward to the Blaze of Jazz Parade, which will kick off the weekend on Friday 24th in spectacular ‘flare’. This family-friendly parade will feature a mix of red-hot jazz bands with fiery Cork characters in a dramatic musical march full of flaming antics. Other highlights include the Jazz Jamboree, Jazz Food Fair, and The Artistry of Frank Sinatra audio-visual event with more to be announced soon!
You could spend your time wandering from venue to venue, taking in free on-street sessions, but we also recommend booking tickets to at least one must-see acts on www.guinnessjazzfestival.com before it’s too late…
- British soul queen and platinum selling artist Mica Paris singing Ella Fitzgerald. Friday October 25th, The Everyman, 8pm
- Booka Brass Band, Ireland’s first New Orleans style brass band.
Friday October 26th, Cork Opera House, 11.30pm
- Prize winning saxophonist and composer Paul Booth followed by Tudo Bem’s celebration of the Music of Brazil at the much-loved Jazz at the Green Room sessions at Cork Opera House. Friday 25 October 2019, 10pm and midnight
- Big Brass Band Explosion – Three amazing brass bands – The OhnO! Jazzband, Hyde Park Brass, and Les FanFlures – will play back to back in a gig guaranteed to knock your socks off. Saturday October 26th, The Everyman, 2pm
- 14-time Grammy nominee Kurt Elling will pay tribute to jazz legends like Louis Armstrong, Nat “King” Cole, Jon Hendricks, Shirley Horn and Nancy Wilson. Saturday October 26th, Cork City Hall, 8pm.
- American Jazz fusion band Spyro Gyra whose 30 albums have sold over 10 million copies over four decades. Saturday October 26th, The Everyman 8pm
- Renowned ECM artist John Surman, who is known for expanding the horizons of jazz, will present a special concert with pianist Vigleik Storaas. Saturday October 26th, Triskel Christchurch, 8pm.
- Ariellle Besson, Sebastian Sternal & Jonas Bergwinkel Trio – Leading the new wave of young European improvising trumpeters, Airelle Besson will perform with pianist Sebastian Sternal, and drummer Jonas Burgwinkel.
Sunday October 27th, Triskel Arts Centre, 2.30pm
- Northern Ireland’s famous Trumpeter Linley Hamilton is one of the most prolific figures in the jazz scene. Sunday October 27th, The Everyman, 7pm
- Motown diva and Grammy Hall of Famer, Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, who is listed among Rolling Stone magazine’s “100 Immortal Artists”.
Sunday October 27th, Cork City Hall, 8pm
- 14-time Grammy nominee and 2018 Jazz Pianist of the Year, Fred Hersh, is flying in from the US with his jazz Trio. Sunday October 27th, The Everyman, 8pm
Also, to mark ECM record label’s 50th anniversary, Triskel Arts Centre has curated a weekend of concerts and cinema during the Guinness Cork Jazz Festival weekend.
Finally, you can’t miss out on the experience of attending a gig at the Metropole Festival Club, where a host of fresh new international talent will perform from the UK, France, Canada and Ireland. Entry is just €30 per person and will give you access to the entire hotel with jazz acts in four rooms including New York Brass, Pixie & The Gypsies, NC Grey and the Hyde Park Brass Band. The Metropole is also hosting a Jazz Platinum VIP Lounge this year where you can experience smooth purist jazz in an intimate setting with champagne and charcuterie boards, tapas and oysters for €75 per person.
For Guinness Cork Jazz Festival updates and tickets please visit www.guinnessjazzfestival.com. And follow the festival social channels for the latest news -Facebook.com/corkjazzfestival
Enjoy Guinness Sensibly. Visit www.drinkaware.ie